Physical Process of Writing Help for ADHD
People with learning disabilities, like ADHD, may have difficulty with the physical process of writing. It may be difficult to fill in blanks, bubble in dots, line up numbers or words in a column, on a line, or within a margin. Handwriting may be illegible.
I have horrible handwriting. People have their own labels for it like chicken scratch and serial killer handwriting (it really isn't that bad). Anytime I can, I will type instead of handwriting. If someone is requiring something handwriting, I make sure they know it may not be readable.
I need some hand writing help!
- Provide writing aids
- Use line guides and column guides
- Supply bold line paper
- Permit type-written response instead of hand-written response
- Allow use of personal computers, including Alpha Smart, Palm, tablet PC, and Blackberry
- Use Inspiration software, a computerized graphic organizer
- Use speech recognition software that recognizes the user's voice and changes it to text on the computer screen
Sign Up Right Now!
Want to learn more about ADHD? Let's stay in touch by signing up with your email below.
I also have problems with my brain moving faster than my hand ( ADHD in action ). I will forget how to spell things and leave letters and words out. I make sure that I go back and read over my typing and handwriting several times because I also may miss my mistakes the first couple times.
Read more about this in the spelling section.
My Writing Help Tips for ADHD Writers
- Be supportive and encourage (Have this kind of person around you)
- Just put your thoughts on paper and come back later and organize it
- Vocalize your thoughts to a audio recorder and play it back
- Be at ease and take many breaks as needed
- Encourage yourself and tell yourself that you can do it
- Know that it doesn't have to be perfect
- Let the person that you are writing for know if you need more time
- Let the person that you are writing for know if you are having difficulties
- Let others help you
- Go to a college (Community College) with small, intimate classroom settings